We are looking for highly energized and service-minded individuals to help us further the mission of the American Red Cross as Youth Service AmeriCorps! This is a full-time national service role focused on supporting, coordinating, and training Red Cross’s high school and college volunteers.
Red Cross AmeriCorps members are creative, passionate, and dedicated individuals that serve in a full-time capacity for 10.5 months at American Red Cross chapters across the Los Angeles Region. We currently have 26 members serving at sites from Canoga Park, to West LA, to Long Beach! If you are looking for a way to help others, get professional experience, and serve your community, then come join our AmeriCorps team!
The Youth Services AmeriCorps member with the Los Angeles Red Cross will be responsible for managing and supporting youth programs and services in specific areas in the LA Region. As an AmeriCorps member, you will develop and implement Red Cross youth programs in underserved areas, as well as support established youth High School Clubs and Youth Executive Boards.
This role has three primary focuses: recruiting new volunteers to the American Red Cross, supporting those new volunteers through leadership development activities and volunteer events, and teaching CPR / First Aid classes to vulnerable communities.
AmeriCorps Expected Tasks:
- Recruit new youth volunteers through promotion of Red Cross Clubs, Youth Corps, STOP meetings and hosting New Volunteer Orientations
- Maintain existing Red Cross Clubs and develop new Red Cross Clubs in underserved areas through targeted outreach Member will manage youth volunteer’s intake path and youth services activities through Volunteer Connection
- Supervise assigned Youth Corps, including monthly Youth General Meetings, monthly Youth Executive Board Meetings, and youth service events
- Communicate and collaborate with volunteer youth advisors on youth activity
- Provide CPR/First Aid trainings and assist in coordinating the requests for those trainings
- Train and supervise youth in preparedness events (Puppet Shows, SAFE Kids, Community Outreach Events, Masters of Disaster, etc)
In addition to main duties, all AmeriCorps members will staff and deliver Red Cross Community Disaster Education (CDE) programs to vulnerable audiences and respond to local emergencies as an active member of their territory’s Disaster Action Team. Additionally, members will get a chance to respond to local and national disaster responses as Red Cross caseworkers, shelter associates, Disaster Action Team members, and more.
Qualifications / Criteria:
- At least 18 years of age (college graduate preferred)
- Be a US citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident
- Possess a driver’s license and have a good driving record
- Bilingual – desired
- Extensive Red Cross and Emergency Management training
- $5,815 Federal Education Award
- Bi-weekly living stipend (totaling $15,000 for term)
- Health and dental coverage
- Childcare assistance
- Student loan forbearance (on qualifying loans) during the term of service
- Invaluable experience from a nationally and internationally-respected organization
More Information: www.redcross.org/local/california/los-angeles/volunteer/americorps
To Apply: To join the Red Cross AmeriCorps team, send your email and cover letter to Joseph.Edwards@redcross.org.
Positions will be filled up to the program start date on August 28th, so send in your application today!
This is a full-time 10.5 months national service position with the American Red Cross. Members will be working directly with the Red Cross on a day to day basis, and will receive benefits such as a bi-weekly stipend, health coverage, student loan forbearance, and a $5,815 Education Award.
Tags: at-risk youth, disaster relief, mentoring, youth