L.A. Youth at Work (LAYAW) is an initiative to help young adults obtain crucial entry-level job training and work experiences. Through experience, youth are empowered with the tools to obtain and retain meaningful employment, and to educate and encourage business to invest in their communities by creating job and internship opportunities. LAYAW serves as a stepping stone to future high-skill, high-wage employment. Through the Work Readiness Certification, LAYAW is able to streamline the hiring process by identifying a work-ready pool of applicants.
Mock Interviewer Responsibilities & Expectations
In order to be a Mock Interviewer/Volunteer with LAYAW you must:
- Register online through LAYAW
- Reply to the screening questions sent by the program coordinator via email
- Read and sign the Volunteer Responsibilities & Code of Conduct Agreement
- Attend a 30-minute volunteer orientation on the day of your chosen WRC. Orientations occur immediately before each WRC.
After the 30-minute volunteer orientation, Mock Interviewers are expected to know:
- How to conduct interviews and knowledge of appropriate interview questions as set by LA Youth at Work
- How to edit and provide feedback on resumes, job applications, interview skills, and professional etiquette
- How to provide constructive feedback for the benefit of the youth’s career
- How to complete all sections of scoring rubric and make certification determinations
We have mock interview events all throughout November and December. Please visit https://www.layouthatwork.org/interview_events to see all dates and register to volunteer.
11/14 @ Santee Education Complex, 8:30am-12pm
11/18-11/20 @ Huntington Park Institute of Applied Medicine, 4pm-7pm
11/19 @ Banning High School, 8:00am-12pm
11/21-11/22 @ Community Health Advocates School, 8am-12pm
11/23 @ Silver Lake Library, 12:30pm-4pm
11/2-11/6 @ JFK HS, 8:30am-12pm
Tags: at-risk youth, education, youth, mentoring