Based in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, Kurios Trend coordinates volunteering and service-learning projects for students. We create customized itineraries and projects that will allow participants to immerse fully within the community and gain the contextual knowledge relevant to their service. We are also unique in how we operate from within the Northern Areas of Port Elizabeth – employing and creating opportunities for locals, in addition to supporting already established schools and community centers. We are not a multinational for-profit agency, but a small, local organization meeting real community needs and providing an authentic Eastern Cape experience. Education, sport and community outreach form the basis of our programs. We believe in change. We believe in creating sustainable, meaningful volunteer programs and we encourage you to be a part of this movement!
DATE: 5 August 2018 – 8 September 2018
DURATION: 5 Weeks
COST PER STUDENT: 1300 USD (includes all accommodation, 3meals per day, project fees, weekend tours,scheduled outings, transport to and from service sites daily and 24/7 in country assistance.
- Personal luxuries
(include but not limited to)
Assisting the school/college by managing the resource centre on campus to support students. The resource centre will be in operation from 08:30 – 14:30 Monday-Friday. Volunteers will be assisted by local staff. The duties of the volunteers consist of:
- Developing basic computer skills
- Assisting with collection quality information for assignments
- Setting up tutorials as to how to do research
- Tutoring students that have difficulties with school work (tutoring in English, Computers, Finance, Marketing, Tourism)
- Mentoring local students to become tutors in their field of study
- Running skills development workshops (public speaking,debating etc) on a weekly basis
For more info:
Vanderbilt university – www.vanderbilt.edu/oacs/service-organizations/south-africa/
Tags: tutoring, youth, poverty, mentoring, international, health, at-risk youth, education