The Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) is leading the fight to free individuals – and the families who love them – from the harm of muscular dystrophy, ALS and related muscle-debilitating diseases that take away physical strength, independence and life. We use our collective strength to help kids and adults live longer and grow stronger by finding research breakthroughs across diseases, caring for individuals from day one and empowering families with services and support in hometowns across America.
MDA Los Angeles is looking for volunteers to participate in our Annual 2016 LA County Fiefighters’ Fill-the-Boot campaign! This year’s campaign is going to be Wednesday June 28, Thursday June 29, and Friday June 30.
One of the most important elements of this event is our volunteers that support our hardworking firefighters while out in the intersections. The money raised from our local 1014 department is extremely crucial to helping the MDA support our local children and adults living neuromuscular disease. In order to help our firefighters be successful we are depending on you. It is very important that you can work the full shift, 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. We are looking for volunteers for one, two or all three days!
You and Local Fire Fighters will be standing at the designated intersection asking for donations from people in passing automobiles to fill their boots to raise money for the MDA. In addition, as an MDA volunteer you will also be responsible for the following:
- Pick up supplies at 8 a.m. at the designated fire station
- Hang signs down streets leading to intersection (with help from firefighters)
- Locate ice chest and fill w/ ice and bottled waters and
- Distribute waters to the firefighters throughout the day
- Help to hang large banner on the side of the reserve engine (banners can’t go on engines that are on duty)
- Make sure each firefighter has 1 boot for collecting donations
- Set-up operation area to keep water, food, and other supplies
- Wrap large stickers around boots
- Distribute small stickers to each firefighter
- Make sure firefighters are strategically placed throughout intersection (utilize medians)
- MDA volunteers are present to distribute water
- Coordinate with firefighters to eat lunch in shifts so as not to leave the intersection empty
- As boots become full, MDA volunteer to empty boots into canvas bags
- Clean up at end of day (use discretion as to whether signs can be left overnight on poles)
- Supplies should be stored at closest fire station and used again for the next day
- Money should be escorted (by 2 people) to counting location & counted
- Bring coin to local coinstar with another volunteer to firefighter
- Take money in deposit bags (escorted by firefighters) to the closest Bank of America and deposit the money after it has been counted.
All the funds raised through our Fill-the-Boot campaign will stay in the area to provide services for the families affected by neuromuscular disease. By participating, you will be doing your part to combat 43 types of muscle disease and you will also be making a difference in so many lives. MDA strives to find life-saving treatments and cures that will save lives and has come to depend on the generosity and support of local volunteers just like you.
8:30 AM - 2:30 PM
Tags: disabilities, health, youth, special needs