Category: Citizenship; Immigration; Legal Services; Interpretation
Position: U.S. Citizenship Application Assistance, Volunteer
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Type: Part-time (unpaid)
Cycle : 2016 Spring (and on-going)
Interfaith Refugee and Immigration Service (IRIS) is a nonprofit organization committed to improving the lives of immigrant and refugee communities in Los Angeles, CA. IRIS is a refugee resettlement agency and immigration legal services provider. IRIS specializes in social and legal services for refugees and immigrations in Los Angeles, CA. IRIS’s immigration legal services include a U.S. citizenship program. Our programs include U.S. civics education and citizenship application assistance and legal representation. IRIS’ Citizenship clinics are offered free of charge to the community. In providing accessible services free of charge, IRIS meets the needs of local immigrant and refugee communities seeking social inclusion, economic mobility and civic participation. IRIS’ goal is to facilitate their aspirations so that they may improve their overall quality of life.
Through its citizenship program IRIS provides eligibility screening, assessment, consultation, advice and application completion assistance to eligible Legal Permeant Residents. IRIS also provides assistance with the completion of medical and fee waivers as appropriate. IRIS provides free study materials to all program participants to help them prepare for the citizenship exam. IRIS is a Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) Recognized and Accredited Agency. IRIS clinics are overseen by an immigration attorney and BIA Accredited Representative.
• Greet and direct clients at clinics
• Assist applicants complete eligibility worksheets
• Assist client in completing the N-400 Application for Naturalization (training will be provided)
• Help plan and organize citizenship clinics
• Provide interpretation assistance as needed (interpretation training will be provided)
A successful applicant will demonstrate or have:
• Bilingual English/Spanish proficiency is preferred
• Commitment and interest in community engagement with immigrant families
• Ability to work with immigrants from various backgrounds
• Strong attention to detail
• Proactive problem-solving skills
• Basic knowledge of the U.S. citizenship naturalization process (training provided but past experience a plus)
• Self-motivation and ability to work independently
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills
• Positive attitude
• Ability to be a team player
• Attorneys or Law Students interested in immigration work are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send an email indicating your interest along with a copy of your resume to Lynn Mackenzie at email@example.com. All applicants are encouraged to apply. IRIS is an equal opportunity employer.
Citizenship clinic on January 20th from 4pm-7pm.
Contact Person: Lynn Mackenzie
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone Number: (323) 667-0489 ext.128
Organization: Interfaith Refugee and Immigration Service (IRIS)