ALL You Need To Know About One Amazing Opportunity!
AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer Corps Member
Are you passionate about serving the community?
Are you ready to commit a year of your life to meaningful work, and in turn receive unmatched personal and professional growth by joining a nationwide network of change agents?
Are you looking for a way to assist in making Los Angeles a more equitable place through service?
If you answered yes to all of these questions, you have possibly found your next stop.
What do we do?
We are L.A.’s largest volunteer network. L.A. Works’ programs are all geared towards increasing volunteerism in the region. We achieve this goal by publishing volunteer opportunities on our website, hosting large-scale days of service, coordinating corporate volunteer events, and more.
What do you add to our pursuit for a more equitable place for Angelenos?
Volunteer Corps VISTA members are placed at nonprofit locations around L.A. to serve as volunteer coordinators. Our members spend the year recruiting and managing volunteers, who will work towards delivering the nonprofit’s mission. One of those members could be you!
What does this mean?
You will help transform the host site’s volunteer program through more effective volunteer recruitment, placement, and engagement practices. You will be paired with a nonprofit whose mission speaks to you. As a volunteer coordinator you would be responsible for the following:
• Thoroughly assess host site’s volunteer program and contribute to the identification of new, creative volunteer roles at host site;
• Conduct targeted recruitment efforts online and offline to improve volunteer matches and increase the number of volunteers placed at host site;
• Contribute to monthly and annual grant reporting as well as serve as a Project Leader at L.A. Works special days of service
What is Americorps?
AmeriCorps VISTA is one of three branches of AmeriCorps that connects full-time members to community organizations to create and expand programs that build capacity and ultimately bring low-income individuals and communities out of poverty. Members gain valuable professional, educational, and life experience. The term of service lasts for 1 year. A Pre-Service Orientation (PSO) Training is required for all members.
Am I still a part of L.A. Works?
Yes, you are! You get the chance to be part of both teams: your nonprofit host site’s and L.A. Works’. Attendance at a monthly meeting at L.A. Works that enhances both professional and personal growth is required for all VISTAs. In total, three networks are at your fingertips – L.A. Works, Americorps VISTA, and your host site organization!
Is this paid? What are the benefits of serving for a year?
Although you’re technically a volunteer, you’ll receive a bi-weekly living allowance. Other benefits include:
• Segal Education Award | Upon successful completion of one year of service, AmeriCorps members earn a $5,775 (or equal to the Pell grant amount) education award that can be put towards student loans or future educational expenses.
• Loan Forbearance | AmeriCorps members may be eligible to have their student loans temporarily postponed while they are serving.
• Childcare | AmeriCorps VISTA member may qualify for childcare assistance during their terms of service.
• Health Benefits | All AmeriCorps VISTA members are eligible to participate in the Health Benefits Program at no cost.
We’re looking for game-changers. Competitive applicants should embody
• Commitment and understanding of the AmeriCorps principles and values including the one year of service;
• Ability to adapt to the living allowance and other lifestyle challenges common for AmeriCorps members;
• A track record of delivering results while juggling competing priorities under intense time pressure;
• Engaging public speaker and networker
• Professional demeanor in person, in writing, and on the phone
• Passion for nonprofit work and belief in the value of community service
Does that sound like you? We just need to make sure that you are:
• Must be at least 18 years of age and a U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien of the U.S.;
• Okay with some evening and weekend commitments;
One last (very important!) question: Are you committed to serving one full year, making a difference, and embarking on the experience of a lifetime?
If so, we are inviting you to apply today. Welcome to what game-changing and trail-blazing through a service-oriented lens looks like.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com to apply. Thank you.
One year opportunity.
Tags: at-risk youth, education, poverty, health, hunger, mentoring, tutoring, youth, sustainability
Contact Person: Asia Olano
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone Number: (323) 224-6510
Organization: L.A Works