On Saturday, Sept. 24, 2022, the UCLA & USC Volunteer Centers will collaborate to organize a city-wide service day! We would like to formally invite your non-profit organization to join UCLA and USC to Serve LA 2022.
The UCLA Volunteer Center’s inaugural event, UCLA Volunteer Day, has become a cornerstone of the UCLA experience. It is one of the university’s largest community service events and occurs during True Bruin Welcome. This year, we are teaming up with USC to expand and bring you Serve LA.
New freshmen and transfer students join together with continuing undergraduates, graduate students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, and community members to participate in a wide range of community service projects across Los Angeles and the globe. Volunteers participate at 45+ community partner sites providing critical service work, beautification, and support at food banks, parks, shelters, senior centers, schools, veterans’ facilities, and various other community organizations.
For the past 20 years, UCLA and USC have supported civic engagement through the work of our students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents and community members. Annually, the UCLA and USC communities provide service throughout Los Angeles county, the country, and the world. Project sites vary but always include schools, food banks, parks, shelters, veterans’ facilities, and neighborhood centers. Since their inception, the UCLA and USC Volunteer Centers have logged over 644,000 service hours, engaged over 120,000 student volunteers, and collaborated with over 850 community partners.
How do I register to volunteer?
- Registration is required for all volunteers. Sign up to volunteer for a specific site in your area by navigating to the registration form, which is linked at the bottom of each project site page. Registered volunteers will receive additional email information about their project in September.
When can I register to volunteer?
Registration for Serve LA 2022 will open this summer. Registration will close on September 21.
Where will volunteers serve during Serve LA?
- During Serve LA, Bruins and Trojans will provide service in-person with our community partners, including but not limited to causes related to sustainability, hunger, homelessness, support of children, and support of senior citizens.
Will Serve LA be an in-person or virtual event?
- Serve LA will be an in-person event.
How will Serve LA stay COVID Safe?
- Serve LA will follow all current UCLA COVID requirements at each site, which may include requiring all participants to be masked, vaccinated and/or COVID tested. For more information about UCLA and COVID requirements, please visit; UCLA COVID-19 Resources - Coronavirus information for the campus community
Who can participate in Serve LA?
- General volunteer roles are open to all members of the UCLA and USC communities which includes all students, staff, alumni, faculty, retirees, family and local community members. **Please note, all volunteers must comply with UCLA COVID requirement at each site.**
Why doesn't a project site show up on the registration form?
- If a project site is missing from the drop-down list in the registration form, that particular project site has reached full capacity.
Will there be a Serve LA waiver?
- Yes, waivers will be required for all in-person events
What should volunteers wear and bring to Serve LA?
- We encourage all of our volunteers to wear blue and gold, cardinal and gold, or UCLA and USC gear. Specific information depending on the project site will be sent to all registrants. Bring sunglasses, a reusable water bottle, hats, sunscreen (if outside), and close toed shoes.
How can volunteers get involved in service after Serve LA?
- Check out Community Service Commission
- Join the UCLA Volunteer Center mailing list: https://sa.ucla.edu/Forms/p/yl2SN
- Email us photos: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bookmark the website: volunteer.ucla.edu
- Visit the USC Volunteer Center site: https://campusactivities.usc.edu/volunteer/
- Like us on Facebook: fb.com/uclavolunteer
- Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/uclavolunteer
- Find us on Instagram: instagram.com/uclavolunteer
- View Campus Opportunities: https://volunteer.ucla.edu/service-campus
- Search our Volunteer Database: https://volunteer.ucla.edu/volunteer-database
Can I donate to Serve LA or the UCLA Volunteer Center?
- Help support the Volunteer Center and Volunteer Day by giving to UCLA. If you are interested donating, please give at giving.ucla.edu
Who should I contact for any specific questions related to Serve LA?
- Please reach out to email@example.com for any additional questions or concerns.