The Championships, to be located at Drake Stadium at UCLA, will serve as the primary selection event for the World Championships and Junior World Championships Team Selection. The top ranked athletes from this competition will go on to represent Team USA at the World Para Athletics Championships London 2017 and the World Para Athletics Junior Championships Nottwil 2017.
Volunteers with experience in track and field are needed in various roles from June 1 – 4:
- Track Competition: assist athletes in lining up for each race, help them on/off the track (including wheelchair track racers), and assist officials to check-in athletes in the clerking area.
- Field Event: assist officials with the High Jump, Long Jump/Triple Jump, Shot Put, Discus Throw and Javelin Throw. The specific duties assigned may include: moving mats, replacing the bar, raking sand pits, pulling measuring tape, writing results, retrieving implements, etc.
- Awards: help distribute medals to the top three athletes after the completion/verification of each event.
- S. Anti-Doping Agency Assistance: assist the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) with doping control during the competition. Volunteers for this position must be at least 18 years old and have the ability to: walk for long distances, maintain confidential information, be flexible in scheduling, demonstrate a respectful and professional demeanor.
- Equipment: assist in venue set-up prior to the start of competition and help move equipment during the competition (throwing and racing chairs, implements, standards, coolers, ice, etc.). This position may involve heavy lifting and driving a gator/golf cart.
- Packet/Registration: assist at the competition venue with distribution of athlete packets and credentials as well as answering questions and providing athletes/friends/family with event and local information.
- Media: assist with local media and duties assigned from the USOC Media. Duties may also include running and/or posting results at the competition venues.
- VIP Assistance: assist in the VIP area to help set up, answer general event questions, replenish food/drinks, check credentials, etc.
- Access Control: check the credentials for the designated/assigned credentialed areas at the competition facility.
This event is hosted by the U.S. Paralympics. For specific questions about the U.S. Paralympics Track & Field National Championships & event volunteers, please contact Tina Kauffman-Cain at Tina.Kauffman-Cain@usoc.org.