Volunteer Day 2015 was UCLA’s seventh annual new student service event. First year freshmen and transfer students joined together with continuing undergraduates, graduate students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, and community members to visit sites across greater Los Angeles. In every city council district, volunteers performed service at schools, parks, shelters, senior centers, veterans’ facilities, community gardens, food banks, and many other community locations.
Learn about the Center’s past Volunteer Day full roster of community partners by browsing the impact map at https://live-ucla-volunteer.pantheonsite.io/impact-map. Each site was uniquely chosen based on suggestions from the Bruin community and existing UCLA programs around Los Angeles.
For a more in depth look at some of the individual volunteers, community partners, and efforts that made Volunteer Day possible, please view the Center’s complete Volunteer Day 2015 Impact Report. Included in the report are a breakdown of Volunteer Day number, stories of some of the day’s successful project sites, and a description of ServeFest, the first annual service fair held immediately after Volunteer Day in order to help new students sign up for ongoing campus projects.
Interested in reading all about UCLA Volunteer Day? Below is a list of news articles and blog posts documenting the service and accomplishments of Bruin volunteers on September 26:
- Volunteer Day to send thousands of Bruins across L.A.
Posted on September 21, 2015 | Source: UCLA Newsroom
- New UCLA Students Ready to make Volunteer Day Memories
Posted on September 22, 2015 | Source: UCLA Advocacy
- ServeFest event to encourage student interest in volunteering
Posted on September 25, 2015 | Source: Daily Bruin
- More than 7,000 UCLA volunteers help across Los Angeles
Posted on September 26, 2015 | Source: UCLA Newsroom
- 2015 UCLA Volunteer Day
Posted on September 28, 2015 | Source: Project Unit 83
- In Partnership with UCLA and Local Leaders, K2C Provides Supplies to Los Angeles Kids
Posted on September 29, 2015 | Source: KtoCollege
- Lasting Learning Volunteers on UCLA Volunteer Day 2015
Posted on October 1, 2015 | Source: Lasting Learning
- WISH’s Community Grows Even Wider with True Blue & Gold
Posted on October 1, 2015 | Source: WISH Charter Elementary
- Volunteer Day at Leichman HS
Posted on October 1, 2015 | Source: Diane S. Leichman High School
- UCLA Volunteers Brighten our Campus
Posted on October 1, 2015 | Source: Winnetka Avenue Elementary School
- UCLA Teams up with 2nd Street Elementary School
Posted on October 2, 2015 | Source: LAUSD
- Making an Impact on Los Angeles: Volunteer Day 2015 Highlights
Posted on October 9, 2015 | Source: UCLA Volunteer Center
- UCLA Volunteer Day in Pictures
Posted on October 14, 2015 | Source: UCLA Advocacy
- LA City Council Proclamations and Presentations (Video)
Posted on November 24, 2015 | Source: LA City Council
- Los Angeles City Council Commends 2015 UCLA Volunteer Day
Posted on November 30, 2015 | Source: UCLA Advocacy
The UCLA Volunteer Center has a digital archive of the photos and videos taken on UCLA Volunteer Day. View snapshots of social activity from our various digital platforms using the hashtag #BruinsGiveBack on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, or visit our comprehensive Flickr photo archive.
There are many ways to give back to the community. Volunteer Day is one giant day of service, but the UCLA Volunteer Center works year-round to match potential volunteers to community partners in need. Learn about campus groups focused on service through the comprehensive Campus Service Opportunities list or browse the Center’s Volunteer Opportunity Database.